I admit it, okay? No need to give me the third degree. I stole it, and I would do it again. I stole the strawberry from the strawberry plant at the greenhouse, the tiny, red one that was almost too ripe. I did it because I couldn’t stand to see it go to waste.
It’s that lovely season where the weather isn’t roasting just yet, berries are cheap, and I’m in a baking mood. All of these factors collide into a mixed berry pie of blueberries and strawberries, just in time for your summer savoring.
Red and Blue Crumble Pie
- 2 1/2 cups of sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp of tapioca
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup of white sugar
- 1 premade pie-crust (or make your own)
- 2/3 cup of all-purpose flour (or a mixture of 1/3 cup oats, 1/3 cup flour)
- 1/3 cup of butter, slightly chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients and let macerate for 15 minutes.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, and brown sugar and stir well. Cut in the butter until it forms small chunks.
- After fifteen minutes, pour the filling into the prepared pie crust and cover with topping. Put pie pan on a rimmed baking sheet (for easier clean up, cover with foil).
- Bake in the oven for approximately 50 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!