Happy end of along blog hiatus! I’m back in the kitchen, if not in the garden this year (my husband commandeered that little area and I’m trying not to bug him about it.) He took it over because we’ve had a little more on our familial plate than usual: a new baby this summer!
And he’s sensitive to dairy, so I’ve had to cut it out (cue the sad trombones).
But, I’m experimenting more with vegan and dairy free products in the meantime while I wait to be done breastfeeding, so watch for more of those type of recipes on the blog this summer, fall, and winter.
First up, a seasonal cobbler. We discovered this past weekend that vegan butter is a great sub in baking for regular butter, so I had to use our fresh produce to make something amazing. I used a mixture of raspberries and nectarines, but you could use 4ish cups of just about any summer baking fruit (ie, not watermelon).
- 3 cups of fresh raspberries, washed and drained (or equivalent of frozen raspberries)
- 2-3 large nectarines or peaches, peeled and diced (if skin not easily removed, check the technique here),
- 1/4 cup of instant tapioca pearls
- 2/3 cup of white sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla (if desired)
- 4 tbsp of vegan butter , melted
- 1/2 cup of whole wheat flower
- 1/2 cup of old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray a ceramic or glass baking dish.
- Mix together filling ingredients in dish, ensuring that tapioca well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix topping ingredients until form small chunks. Top filling with topping.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes. Should be bubbly and slightly brown when you remove. Allow to cool, and enjoy with dairy-free topping of your choice!